Time for a quick update on the work Saturn SMS have been focussing on with Reaction Engines.
- Saturn delivered on major CDR milestone for the demonstrator core engine (DEMO-A)
- HAZOP (and work with performance team in assessing HAZOP-identified risks to run in the Dynamic Model – this then resulted in re-sizing of a valve and associated orifices to prevent more severe outcomes)
- Zonal Hazard Analysis (which identified areas for insulation, re-positioning of equipment, shielding etc.)
- Fault Tree Analysis (which assisted in identifying common cause failures and allowed for sensitivity analysis, as well as proving the effectiveness of the Safety Critical Monitor as a vital safety measure)
- Work on subsystem HAZOP for Heat exchanger and Pre-burner combined test
Saturn SMS are pleased to be continuing work with RE on various projects including hypersonic vehicle/engine studies for space and military markets. Andy’s unique insight into the safety and certification challenges for the engine/subsystems (as would be installed in a Flight Test Vehicle) has been of great value to RE.